12.07.2009

Summer Fun

Saturday evening, the night before Father's day, Greg was on the phone with my mom helping her with some computer issues, and he kept teasing her about us coming out there. It was not nice because I had been feeling so homesick lately. Within about five minutes of him hanging up, we'd made up our minds and were packing our bags. Less than two hours later we were on the road. The girls slept nearly the entire way. At one point Pearl started talking in her sleep, "I see those pink shoes. You get them for me Daddy?" Not even two and dreaming about shoes!

At about 8 am we pulled into Celeste court and surprised my mom. Then we hurried and got ready for church where we surprised my dad. It was a fun Father's day treat. Almost as fun was answering the phone when my sisters called... "What are YOU doing there?"

Prior to our trip, my mom sent Pearl a card with blackberry smudges on it, saying she wished Pearl could be there eating berries with her. It's been years since I've been home during blackberry season. I ate some everyday and took tons home with me. We brought plums home too, but the day after we got back, Pearl took a bite out of each one then put it back in the bowl. That was not a happy moment.

Here's Pearl watching Papa Eric work in his garage. She liked to watch him but she thought it was really "nosy" (noisy)
A few weeks later, we met the Fa'anunus in Mt. Rushmore for the Fourth of July and my birthday! We had a really great time, but it started out kind of "fortunately/unfortunately"

Fortunately, we had a beautiful drive through the black hills.
Unfortunately, we got in too late to see the fireworks at Mr. Rushmore.
Fortunately, there was such dense fog nobody saw them and we didn't end up wasting our entire day waiting to see nothing
Unfortunately, all that dense fog was a storm and it poured and we were sleeping in tents and one of the tents flooded.
Fortunatel,y the tent that didn't flood slept as many as 9.
Unfortunately, we had 11 (including a pack 'n' play)
Fortunately, Pearl talks in her sleep and "berries, yeah I like berries" will never be forgotten.

One of the highlights of the trip was going to Bear Country. Abby rode in the car with us, and, because we went through the park at about a mile an hour, she was driving with Greg when a bear stood on our car!!!

Here's the armpit and belly of the bear. I tried to get a better shot but at the moment it was low priority.

It was a very fun summer!
Posted by Picasa

2 Comments:

  1. Rae said...
    Holy cow, that last shot is a doozy. :) I love that Pearl talks in her sleep! Shoes and berries...simple pleasures.
    Carol said...
    thank you for finally updating your blog you fa'anunu head. i loved all the pictures and the updates.

Post a Comment